Monday, September 5, 2011

Goodbye Greek Mythology, Hello Arthurian Legend

Well, Australian Kiwi is sad to announce that the time of studying Greek myth at university is (sob, sob) over! Yes, it's heartbreaking, I know, but I think I'll survive. Somehow, I will get through this.


The lecture this morning was on the context of the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. This is probably one of the most famous legends of all time, but I have to admit that it is not one of my favorites. I find the round table to be lacking in something very important: PEACE! The round table is essentially a war council, run by a king who, although he is loved by his people and has united his kingdom, has killed many men do to it and won't hesitate to kill even more should the need arise. He even tries to kill his wife and his friend when he finds out they are sleeping together. Rational discussion? Please! Arthur would rather grab a sword and kill the nearest thing than talk to Lancelot and Guinevere about how their behaviour was inappropriate.

Of course, not all portrayals of Arthurian myth and legend are quite so bad. I have to admit being quite fond of the TV series The Adventures of Merlin which deals with the exploits of Merlin, Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere and other important characters before mythology takes hold. Currently having completed three seasons, this highly successful, popular portrayal of Arthurian myth and legend is due for a forth season to come out early-mid 2012. I am looking forward to that.


But now, getting back on topic, if this morning's lecture was anything to go by, King Arthur is going to be pretty boring. The lecturer was dull as they come, constantly stumbling over her words and her powerpoint left much to be desired. When powerpoint is used well, it can really add to a lecture. The lecturer that I had on Greek mythology used powerpoint extremely well and this really added to the quality of information he was giving. But this powerpoint was sloppy with bad animation and poor timing. She used a red background with yellow writing that made my eyes sting and water and (horror or all horrors!) she read off her slides! Although, as my friend and I agreed at the end of the lecture, it will get better because it can't possibly get any worse! Hopefully Jennifer can liven things up in the tutorial tomorrow.

Alright, I'd better go and finish writing my assignment. Check in tomorrow to hear if Arthur got any better.

See ya!

~ Australian Kiwi

No comments:

Post a Comment