Wednesday, April 6, 2011

In Memoriam


I'll Lend You A Child
by Edgar Guest

I'll lend you for a little time a child of mine, God said,
For you to love while she lives,
And mourn for when she's dead

It may be six or seven years
Or twenty-two or three,
But will you, till I call her back,
Take care of her for me.

She'll bring her smiles to gladden you,
And should her stay be brief,
You'll have her lovely memories as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise she will stay,
As all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down here,
I want this child to learn.

I've looked this world over,
In search for teacher's true,
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes,
I have selected you.

Now will you give her all your love,
Nor count the labor vain,
Nor hate Me when I came to call to
Take her back again.

I fancied that I heard them say,
Dear Lord, They will be done,
For all the joy Thy child shall bring,
The risk of grief we'll run.

We'll shelter her with tenderness,
We'll love her while we may,
And for all the happiness we have known,
Forever grateful stay.

But should the angels call for her,
Much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
And try to understand.

For every child who never saw their first birthday and every parent that has suffered that most devastating loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment