Saturday, May 12, 2012

And I'm feeling giddy...Wheeeeeeeeeee

As I write this post, I notice that my computer seems to have a bad habit of breaking into two at random intervals, or perhaps it's just me seeing double. Whatever it is, it's annoying, and it's giving me a headache, but I have important news to share, so I will brave my pounding head and splitting computer and attempt to write an understandable post.


First, a bit about my TEFL course. I have completed module two, passing with 84%, the same mark I got for module one, and I had to do my first written assignment. Written assignments on TEFL are called Checkpoints, so, last night, I completed Checkpoint 1, and passed. The comments from my tutor were wonderful, so wonderful, in fact, that I have included my assignment and the comments in this post for you to read.

Checkpoint 1

Q1: What are the qualities of a good teacher? List and describe at least 5 qualities, drawing on your experience as a student or teacher, and explain why they are effective.

A good teacher is able to respond to student's individual needs as they learn. If a teacher is able to assist a student in a particularly difficult area of learning for them, or is able to help an excelling student reach their potential, then they have done their job as an educator and are a good teacher. Good teachers also need to be able to listen to their students, there are two main reasons that this quality is important in a teacher. The first is that, in a classroom of students learning English, a teacher must be able to gently correct students when they make a mistake to help them improve their grammar and vocabulary, but also to find out more about the students and their interests, so that the teacher can incorporate them into the learning. For example, if there are several members of a class who are particularly interested in big cats, an activity could be developed around the theme of big cats. In a teaching setting, it is also paramount that a teacher knows and is confident with their material. A teacher who is uncertain of the subject matter they are teaching will not be able to teach their students effectively, and the students will also pick up on the teacher's insecurity, and will begin to doubt their own ability. A teacher should also be organized and punctual. When I was going through high school, I always found it easier to settle into a class when my teacher had prepared the lesson before hand, and was able to keep to time without getting flustered, and who didn't waste my time by being late or running over time. Finally, a good teacher must be able to have fun, and genuinely enjoy their work. A teacher who is too strict, or who appears bored and angry at work, will be an obstacle to student's learning.    

Comments
Thanks Juliana, that's a great answer. You have outlined many important qualities of a good teacher.

Self-evaluation and reflection are also vital in creating a successful language learning environment. I find it very helpful to evaluate each lesson on completion, both the good and bad points of the lesson. By doing this we learn by our mistakes and improve on our success.

The psychological aspect is crucial in language-learning/teaching. It takes a lot of encouragement and moral support to keep the learner motivated. I would add that it's also important to set achievable goals, both short-term and long-term ones, so that your students never feel frustrated.


Q2: Name at least 5 different seating arrangements and describe classroom activities that suit each one. In your answer, try to give ideas from your own experience, as well as referring to the examples given in the module.

Probably the most common seating arrangement I encountered during my education, in primary school, secondary school, and at university, was rows. As most of my teachers both at school and at university taught in a lecturing style, which is the best way to teach when students are seated in rows, I found this style to be engaging, and particularly helpful to my learning. When I studied briefly at TAFE, the seating in the classroom was organized in a horseshoe, which promoted discussion, but also allowed all the students in the classroom to see the board and any overhead projector sheets the teacher displayed. When students are working in groups on a task such as a poster, it is helpful to sit the students in the groups they are working in, so that they can discuss their ideas and work collaboratively. If a teacher wishes to engage students in a debate about a particular issue, the teacher could sit the students in opposing teams. This arrangement would promote lively discussion back and forth between the groups as each argued their point. Finally, a simple seating arrangement that encourages conversation, and would encourage English students to practice their informal conversation skills, is sitting students in pairs. Teachers should try and make sure that friends do not sit together, so that students are given the opportunity to socialize with those they would not normally associate with. 

Comments
Another considered and excellent answer Juliana!

You've described five seating arrangements and when each would be useful. You have also demonstrated a keen interest in, and awareness of the learning process.

Well done – you have now passed your first set of checkpoint assignments! I enjoyed reading your ideas. You can proceed to Module 3 (grammar) and Checkpoint 2 related to it.

Above (in italics) is my first assignment, with my tutor's comments in red below my assignment questions. I had to write at least 150 words, but TEFL encourages students to go over the word limit. A TEFL maxim is: 'The more you put into it, the most you get out of it', and they encourage their students to apply this in both their studies, and when they eventually teach English to a class. 


Now, my other big news. I have been searching for a job for nearly three years now, and the only trial shift I managed to get anywhere was at Subway, and they never called me back, or paid me for the shift I worked. Today, I saw an advert in the paper for 'waiting staff, all ages and levels of experience'. Deciding I had nothing to loose, I rang the number at the bottom of the advert and was offered a trail shift (11:30am - 4:30pm) tomorrow! They're going to pay me too, $20 an hour, which is awesome. If I do well on my trail shift, I will be offered the job, so please keep your fingers crossed for me.


So, that's all my news. Perhaps it's excitement that has made me feel so giddy, but my computer is doubling up even more right now, and my brain is ready to burst through my skull! I'll sign off now, and hopefully feel better by tomorrow when I work my first (five hour) shift.

See you soon!

~ Australian Kiwi

3 comments:

  1. May I ask what is the name of your TEFL tutor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I know the name of your tutor? I am TEFLing and not as lucky as you in getting comments from my tutor... Your tutor seemed so encouraging and supportive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrix, sorry for the late reply. I did my TEFL course online through i-to-i, so I don't know the names of the individual tutors. i-to-i were great to study with, and I would highly recommend them.

      Delete