Monday, April 1, 2013

My Early Training Route

My first training route for The Ride; Distance = 4.1km

I went for another bike ride today, training for The Ride to Conquer Cancer in October. I took the same route as I did on my first bike ride, but, today, I measured the distance and took note of my speed. 

The route is about 4.1km long, according to the odometer on my bike, so it's not a very long ride, but it's a start. I ride from my house to the closest local shopping centre and back again, and round trip between between ten and fifteen minutes. I'm starting to get into practice using my gears again, as I haven't really touched my gears for a long time. When October rolls around, I will need to be proficient at changing gears quickly and easily, and preferably without looking at the gears themselves. Of course, the gears on my road bike will be different to the gears I have on my mountain bike, which is the bike I'm currently riding. I don't have a road bike yet, but my parents are going to get me one for The Ride.

I tried to keep my speed at around 13-15km/ph. On the Port2Port, a 400k bike ride, riders tried to keep at around 15-20km/ph, so I'm guessing it will be similar on The Ride. Again, I'm just building up at the moment, but I managed to keep between 11-13km/ph on this ride, including up the hill. I think that's a good achievement. 

The training route has one quite large hill, which is quite good for helping me learn to use my gears again. It's nice, not having to strain as hard to get uphill as I have in the past when I haven't used my gears. As this route gets too easy, I'll look for a longer route, although I don't want to bite off more than I can chew yet, I'll build up slowly.

As always, if you want to donate to my Ride, you can do so here.

~ Australian Kiwi

No comments:

Post a Comment